Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lynn Phegley Watches "Lost" - "Recon"

My mom's name is Lynn Phegley. She teaches music to elementary school kids in Grand Blanc, Michigan. She likes classic Hollywood musicals, trashy romance novels and "Sex In The City."

And for some reason she's seen damn near every episode of "Lost."

Each week of the series last season, I'm opening up the blog to mom to share her thoughts on what happened. I guarantee that those of you who like to read blogs digging in to the metaphorical underpinnings of the show looking for clues and analysis will almost certainly get nothing out of this. And thanks to this site for the screencaps.

[Special note: Spoilers for tonight's episode are at the very bottom, so if you're Sean...don't read the last entry!!!]

Let's begin.

JIM FORD: ACE DETECTIVE!

"I was out looking for a magic wand at Target on Tuesday, so I missed the beginning. What happened?"

[I explain the con-to-cop setup with the briefcase of money.]

"I thought he was a con man. That's a little contradictory. Let's put it that way. This whole thing is contradictory from the way they set up his character to be a con artist, not to be a good guy. And now he's playing a con [on the island] because he's telling everybody what they want to hear no matter who he's talking to. He's telling Locke what he wants to hear and Widmore what he wants to hear and everybody. You can't really tell with him.

"You can't trust anyone on the show. That's where they're at."

"Wait, wait, wait...no we've got to keep track of the regular universe and the side universe?!?! Oh my God, that's too confusing. There's only one universe, I'm telling you. Ugh. Put that in your blog – UGH!"


THE WIDMORES

"Who was that girl? She looks like Tina Fey! I kept looking at her going, 'Who is that woman?!?' I couldn't figure out who I thought she looked like, and then I saw Tina Fey on TV, and I went 'Ah ha!'

"And it was funny when he goes, 'Take me to your leader!' [Laughs] Now, I thought that was comical. Every once in a while they have a line like that or that one time when the pilot was talking about the strangest funeral he'd ever been to. Now 'Take me to your leader!' It's like something out of a comic book! [Laughs]"

"And who are all those dead people on the airplane? That's the real problem with this is that they're introducing another third group of people, but it's kind of late in the game to introduce a whole 'nother group. Is that how they're going to solve their problem."


MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE CAMP

"Man, what's his name slapped [Claire] upside the head, huh? [Laughs] First she's like, 'Here's my friend' and now he's just slapping her upside the head. I don't think he's much of a friend!

[Me: What did you make of his whole "I had a mother who was crazy" speech?]

"That was probably the only interesting thing that happened because it's going to reveal something about the creature. How can Locke though be buried on the beech and be walking around? It seems like [the man in black] would have to inhabit his body.

"Oh! And that was the other interesting thing. 'They're putting up those pylons to keep the smoke monster out!' [Laughs] That was another funny thing. Who knew the pylons were to keep out the smoke creature, did you? I'd have never thought of that."

NEXT TIME ON LOST...SPOILERS!

"Oh, and next time we're talking about the guy who never ages."

[Me: We're going to pirate times!]

"You think so? That'll be interesting. They better get Johnny Depp in there. He's more of a crazy pirate than any of those kooky people. It ought to be interesting if I can remember to watch it."